Cassette Rip Masterpost (download - télécharger - скачать)

Friday, January 1, 2021

Music Searching Tools

I've spent about five or six months (as of now) searching for a lot of forgotten music. I was able to streamline the process within the first month, and have been working on perfecting it ever since. So I figure having a bunch of places put together at the same time would help. If you have any questions, comments, etc, please don't hesitate to contact me!

Search engines

While Google is helpful, for my purposes I've found that Yandex is actually quicker at getting what I want.

Mp3 sites

These are where I find most of the stuff available for download.

My gotos

Musify.club
Musify is a Russian music streaming website. You're most likely to find many popular artists there, though I've had luck with some more familiar Lithuanian names (Soniclove). You need to pay money to download entire albums at once, but you can download songs individually without even so much as an account.

Shanson-e.tk, also known by its title Музыкальный Огонёк (lit. "Musical Fire"), is a forum where people share rips of music. There are a lot of forgotten gems here as well as some more recent music. Wholeheartedly worth a look if you're looking for something either Russian or Lithuanian! Please note you need an account to view links on here.

Viktoras.net has a lot of Lithuanian and Russian music. If you're looking for Ledi-Disko, Tau, or Turbo Reanimacija, this is the site for you! If you want faster downloading speeds, you'll need to support him through PayPal or bank transfer, but the website works just fine even if you don't.

True mp3 sites

These next ones I advise you take caution towards. They're very standard mp3 sites, and some appear to have popups. Take as much caution as you would on your average shady website, and make sure you know what you're clicking (and as per usual, don't allow notifications when asked).

Music information

When looking for rips of specifically reel-to-reel and similar media, I have the easiest time looking up information on a VK page called Хиты с Магнитной Ленты 80's - 90's. I ran into these guys my first time around searching for stuff, so they've always been special to me. I suggest Discogs otherwise.

Other important websites

I figure the YouTube accounts I look at would be helpful when finding artists to search for, if not jumping down the rabbit hole of discogs. Here are the three channels I follow:

No comments:

Post a Comment